Department of Space Studies, Southwest Research Institute, 1050 Walnut St. Suite 400, Boulder, CO 80302
303 546 0032 / 303 546 9687 fax · http://www.boulder.swri.edu/ ~ throop · throop @ boulder.swri.edu
Birth: November 5, 1972 Hobart, Tasmania, Australia Citizenship: USA / Australia (dual)
· Ph.D. University of Colorado, Astrophysical and Planetary Sciences May 2000
Thesis: Light Scattering and Evolution of Circumstellar Disks and Planetary Rings
Advisors: L. W. Esposito, J. Bally
· M.S., University of Colorado, Boulder, Astrophysical and Planetary Sciences May 1997
· B.A., Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA, Physics May 1994
Budapest Technical University, Hungary, Spring 1993
· Southwest Research Institute, Boulder, CO June 2001-present
Research Scientist; Senior Research Scientist
· University of Arizona, Tucson December 2000 - June 2001
· Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics, University of Colorado May-December 2000
· Department of Astrophysical & Planetary Sciences, University of Colorado Summer 2000
· Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics, University of Colorado 1995-2000
· Space Science Institute, Boulder, CO Spring 1998
· Fiske Planetarium, University of Colorado 1996-1997
Teaching Assistant, Scientific Consultant
· Dept. Astrophysical, Planetary, & Atmospheric Sciences, University of Colorado Fall 1994
· Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA Summer 1994
· Grant Gale Observatory, Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA 1993-1994
· Throop, H. B., and J. Bally 2005. Can photoevaporation trigger planetesimal formation?ApJ
· U. A. Dyudina, P. D. Sackett, D. D. R. Bayliss, A. D. Del Genio, C. C. Porco, H. B. Throop, H. C. Dones, and S.
Seager 2005. Phase Light Curves for Extrasolar Jupiter and Saturn. ApJ618, 973-986.
· C. C. Porco, H. B. Throop, M. J. Pantazoupoulou, and T. J. J. Kehoe 2005. Light Scattering in Saturn's
Rings, I: Basic Formulation, Ring Thickness, and the A Ring Azimuthal Asymmetry. To be submitted to Icarus.
· Burns, J. A., D. P. Simonelli, M. R. Showalter, D. P. Hamilton, C. C. Porco, L. W. Esposito, and H. B. Throop 2004.
Jupiter's Ring-Moon System. In Jupiter, Cambridge Univ. Press, 241-262.
· Brooks, S. M, L. W. Esposito, M. R. Showalter, and H. B. Throop 2004. The Size Distribution of Jupiter's
Main Ring from Galileo Imaging and Spectroscopy.Icarus, 170 35-57.
· Throop, H. B., C. C. Porco, R. A. West, J. A. Burns, M. R. Showalter, and P. D. Nicholson 2003. The Jovian
Rings: New Results Derived from Cassini, Galileo, Voyager, and Earth-based Observations.Icarus172,
· C. C. Porco and 27 co-authors 2003. Cassini Imaging of Jupiter's Atmosphere, Satellites, and Rings.
· Shuping, R. Y., J. Bally, M. Morris, and H. B. Throop 2002. Evidence for Grain Growth in the Protostellar
Disks of Orion.ApJ587, L109-L112
· DeGioia-Eastwood, K., H. B. Throop, G. Walker, and K. M. Cudworth 2001. The star formation history of
Trumpler 14 and Trumpler 16. ApJ549, 578-589.
· Throop, H. B., J. Bally, L. W. Esposito, and M. J. McCaughrean 2000. Evidence for dust grain growth in
young circumstellar disks.Science292, 1686-1689.
· Throop, H. B. and L. W. Esposito 1998. Photometry and Evolution of Saturn's G Ring.Icarus
· New Mexico State University Colloquium, 2005.
· Nice Observatory, France, 2005.
· `Physics of Dusty Planetary Rings' meeting, Berne, Switzerland, 2005.
· `Formation and Detection of Planetary Systems' meeting, Aspen, CO, 2005.
· Center for Star Formation Studies, NASA Ames Research Center, 2001.
· Southwest Research Institute, Boulder, CO, 2001.
· Steward Observatory, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, 2000.
CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS & PRESENTATIONS
Approximately 40 talks at AAS, DPS, AGU, Astrobiology, and Gordon conferences.
· Volatile Evolution in Circumstellar Disks 2005
NASA Exobiology $196K total / 3 years
· Photo-evaporation and the Formation of Planetesimals 2005
NASA Origins of Solar Systems $199K total / 3 years
· Capability Development for Modeling Young Solar System Evolution 2004
SWRI Internal R&D Program $115K
· Photometry and Evolution of the Jovian Ring System 1999
NASA Jupiter System Data Analysis Program $120K total / 2 years
Throop scientific PI; Esposito institutional PI
· Are There Large Dust Grains in Orion's Circumstellar Disks? 2001
HST GO 9125, 10 orbits
· The Structure and Kinematics of Irradiated Disks and Associated 1999
High-Velocity Features in Orion (Co-I) HST GO 8324, 11 orbits
File translated from
version 3.69. On 23 Aug 2005, 19:21.