Digisnap Lessons Learned
- The Nikon 995 auto-exposure fails frequently when under Digisnap
control if the LCD screen is switched off. So if the battery
drain from using the LCD screen is a concern, either use manual mode,
with fixed exposure, or use an AC adapter.
- With the LCD screen on, auto-exposure works well- the 995 seems
to be able to handle gradual changes in light level without obvious
flickering, due to an almost continuously-variable shutter speed.
- Automatic color balance can shift erratically (often for no apparent
reason) during a movie, so set a fixed color balance.
- Likewise, set a fixed focus distance for a smoother movie.
- Maximum possible frame rate seems to be about 5 seconds per frame,
regardless of image size.
- Time exposure sequences using the Nikon 995 extended protocol
"Bulb" setting don't necessarily give precisely the requested
exposure time. A sequence of "30 second" frames actually had
most exposures near 28 seconds, with a few as short as 22 seconds.
Return to Spencer home page