Oligarchic Growth in Outer Solar System
(Thommes, Duncan, & Levison 2002)
4 cores between ~4AU and ~10AU in gas disk.
- The cores of Jupiter and Saturn must form before the gas disk goes away, which is about ~107yrs.
- The cores must be ~10 to accrete gas from solar nebula.
- Our models of oligarchic growth predict that cores can grow in this time if disk mass ~5X
minimum mass nebula.
- However, not much happens at 20-30AU.
- There is ~ 70 of solids in this region.
- Cores are about 10-15 4-5 cores.