The Formartion of Uranus and Neptune
A Nice Pretty Picture: The Standard Model
Three major stages of planet formation:
- 1-10km objects form by two-body accretion, gravitational
or something else.
- Big guys grow faster than small guys run away.
- And since .
- As long as is not affected by big guys.
- Assumed to end when embryo feeding zones run into one another (Lissauer 1993)
- Big guys dynamically interact and grow via collisions. (Late-Stage)
So, problem solved! ................ Right?
- Fernandez & Ip build Uranus and Neptune from Lunar/Earth-mass objects in < 2x107 years.
- Used a Monte Carlo, Öpik code.
- Brunini & Fernandez `confirm' these results with direct N-body calculations.