The 41/2 Steps of Terrestrial Planet Formation in the Solar System. (cont)
Step IV: Late Stage (Wetherill, Chambers, Agnor)
- As the number of small objects decrease embryos scatter each other
all hell breaks lose.
- Massive transport of material, the whole systems communicates.
- Our Solar System: (also see Chambers & Wetherill; Agnor et al.)
- Usually get 2 big planets and some little guys.
- Can get some accretion at 1.5AU, but not beyond. i.e. Asteroid belt.
- However, our systems are more excited than the real systems.
- Probably missing some dampling due to small objects or leftover gas (Agnor & Ward).
- However, attempts to model this have failed to solve the problem. (Kominami & Ida)