The Nice Model and the LHB
- In the Nice model the, planets stay in compact formation for 700Myr and then
- We find that ~2x10-8 of the particles would hit the Moon.
- Given our disk of 35 Earth-mass
~4x1021gm of comets. .....
All hits in short time.
- The migration from the 1:2MMR crossing causes the ν6 resonance to sweep the asteroid belt.
- If asteroids were pre-excited, this would cause a ~90% depletion.
- ~5x1021gm of asteroids hit the Moon. Also, they come in a little later.
- This is consistent with observational estimates of ~6x1021gm.
- Comet spike lasts ~30Myr.
- Asteroid spike between 30 and 150Myr depending on state of asteroid belt.
- Models make specific predictions that can be tested with more lunar samples.