Small Body Reservoirs are the Key!
- Jupiter Trojans (Morbidelli et al. 2005):
- Gomes showed that the Trojans are unstable if Jupiter and Saturn crossed the 1:2 MMR.
- However, instability implies that the tapole region of phase space becomes connected with the outside
things can get in.
- We reproduce the number and orbits of Trojans for first time.
- Neptune Trojans:
- We naturally make these objects during our full N-body simulations of migration
- Ours is the only model that is consistent with the large observed inclinations.
- Primitive and Active Asteroids :
- We now know of 4 'comets' on stable asteroid orbits.
- There is a population of primitive asteroids that look like Trojans.
- We find that disk particles get trapped in the asteroid belt.
- Irregular Satellites :... (Nesvorny et al. 2006)
- 104 known satellites with large semi-major axes, eccentricities, and inclinations.
- Disk particles can get trapped during planetary encounters.
- Matches the observed orbits very well.