The Planet V Hypothesis
- There was a small planet in the inner asteroid belt.
- Its orbit went unstable after 700Myr.
- Chambers did a large number simulations.
- Included all the planets but Mercury.
- Added a Moon- to Mars-mass planet.
- In 19% simulations:
- the planet went unstable after 200Myr,
- and did not hit another planet.
- This destabilized the asteroid belt LHB.
- Chambers did not study this important part.
- So, we do not know:
- if this supplies the correct flux to the Moon.
- if the temporal evolution of this spike is consistent with observations.
- if it leaves an asteroid belt that is consistent with observations.