LHB and Nice Model (cont.)
- The migration from the 1:2MMR crossing causes the
ν6 resonance to sweep the asteroid belt.
- If asteroids were pre-excited, this would cause a ~90% depletion.
- Current asteroid belt has 5x10-4ME
5x10-3ME was liberated.
- ~5x1021gm hit the Moon.
- Slightly larger than cometary contribution.
- Also, it comes in a little later.
- Consistent with recent findings on the nature of the impactors (Kring & Cohen; Tagle; Strom et al.).
- Comet spike lasts ~30Myr.
- Asteroid spike between 30 and 150Myr depending on state of asteroid belt.