Late Stage of Terrestrial Planet Formation
- Oligarchic growth ends when there are not enough small guys to keep the big guys cool.
- As small object number decreases embryos scatter each other
all hell breaks lose.
- Massive transport of material, the whole regions communicate.
- Terrestrial planets in our Solar System: (also see Chambers & Wetherill; Agnor et al.)
- Usually get 2 big planets and some little guys.
- Can get some accretion at 1.5AU, but not beyond. i.e. Asteroid belt.
- However, our systems are more excited than the real systems.
Initially had 100 lunar- to Mars-sized planetary embryos.