Sculpting the Kuiper Belt
So, how could this have happened?
- Resonant structure is most likely the result of outward migration of Neptune (Malhotra).
- As the giant planets clear the Uranus-Neptune zone, they move around. (Fernandez & Ip).
- Jupiter moves inward as objects are ejected from the planetary region.
- Uranus and Neptune move outward because they are more likely to give things to Saturn then eject them.
- Neptune's mean motion resonances move outward.
- Kuiper belt objects get trapped.
- Their eccentricities increase as they get pushed outward.
- Does not give the `hot' main Kuiper belt. (Ex. Hahn 2001)