The Nice Model and the Asteroid Belt (cont.)
Can we also reproduce the size-frequency distributions (SFD)?
- We assume that at the end of migration the SFD of the objects looks like Trojans.
- Because they do not collisionally evolve very much.
- This is what we have and what we need:
- Problem: In the outer main belt (OMB) we have 5X as many P/D-types as native asteroids.
- Observations say only 20% of OMB are P/D-types.
- Solution: Need to include the collisional evolution as well as dynamics.