The Nice Model and the Asteroid Belt.
- During the migration of the planets, their resonances move.
- This can deplete 90% of the asteroids. (Probably the source of late lunar basins.)
- But, it can also lead to capture.
- We integrated the orbits of 1.2 million asteroids from the trans-Saturnian region.
- Forced the giant planet to migrate by adding forces to equations of motion.
- Continuously feed in particles for the first 20 Myr.
- Followed evolution for 1Gyr.
- We find:
- The orbital elements match the D-type very well!