A Nice Story:
And everyone lived happy ever after:
- The 4 giant planets formed within 15AU or 20AU of the Sun.
- Beyond them was a massive disk that extended to ~30AU.
- The 4 giant planets slowly spread due to leakage from this disk.
- Jupiter and Saturn crossed the 1:2 mean motion resonance at 700Myr
- Uranus and Neptune went unstable and scattered into the disk.
- Uranus and Neptune evolve onto current orbits due to interactions with the disk.
- Quantitatively reproduces the orbits of the giant planets (Tsiganis et al. 2005).
- Reproduces the mass and orbits of the Kuiper belt (Levison et al. 2008).
- Reproduces the lunar late heavy bombardment at 3.9 Ga (Gomes et al 2005).
- Reproduces the irregular satellites of the giant planets (Nesvorný et al. 2006).
- Reproduces the Trojans of Jupiter (Morbidelli et al. 2005).